Re: [css-flexbox] percentage heights of flex item descendants

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:38:28 -0700
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Christian Biesinger
<cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so I saw that the flex box spec requires that a descendant of a flex item
> with percentage height gets resolved against the flex item's actual height:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#algo-stretch
>
> I was wondering why that is? This is inconsistent with every other use of
> percentages, and requires multi-pass layout (ie. is slow).

I'd have to dig for the archeology of the change, but it was meant to
directly address author feedback on it being confusing.  Note that
there's no need to do multi-pass layout if the flexbox's cross size is
definite and it's single-line, as you know the size of the line
automatically then.