Re: [css-animations] When/how are keyframe values computed?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2014, at 5:17 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 2014, at 03:08, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> We'd have to redefine 'all' to mean 'all properties with interpolable values' which does sound awkward.
>>>
>>> At the same time, if animating all values is a good thing for animations it also seems awkward to arbitrarily prevent it in transitions. Or maybe animations are the fallback in this case?
>> IMO it would be very useful to allow this in transitions as well and would open up some very interesting possibilities that require hacks today.
>> One solution that minimizes (but doesn’t completely eliminate) the backwards compat consequences would be to make `all` mean all properties, but redefine the initial value to a new keyword that means "all interpolatable properties". Since most authors use `all` implicitly, that would prevent most cases of breakage.

Yeah, this could work.  It would involve changing the initial value,
and hoping that not too many people explicitly said "all", but it
might work.

> Speaking of which, it's not 100% clear to me what is supposed to happen to non-animatable properties. Do they transition immediately as they do in a browser with no css-transitions support? Or should they switch at the end of the specified duration? Either way, it still seems awkward for these properties to change value at a different point than in css-animations.
>
> I might have missed the css-transitions prose for this though.

Minus the "50% switch" behavior, it just doesn't get transitioned at
all; in other words, it switches immediately, as if there is no
transition.