Re: [css-ruby] How does ruby interact with ligatures/shaping?

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:23 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> How should ruby interact with ligatures and shaping (and even
> combining marks)?
>
> In particular, if two adjacent ruby-bases, or a ruby-base adjacent
> to something outside the ruby, form ligatures or connect to the
> adjacent text?  Similar for adjacent ruby-texts?
>
> I'm inclined to think they should not interact (i.e., always
> separate text) since large ruby-bases can separate ruby-texts, and
> large ruby-texts can separate ruby-bases.  This makes things easier.
> I'm not sure how much the use cases for these things intersect,
> although if they do (e.g., Korean written in decomposed Hangul with
> what could be part of one jamo in one ruby base and part in another)
> I'm not at all convinced that combining would even be the right
> behavior.
>
> In any case, I think the spec should specify what happens, perhaps
> in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ruby/#ruby-layout .

I think it should work similarly to two inlines separated by an
out-of-flow box, for the ruby bases.  Ruby texts probably shouldn't
ligaturize/etc.

I think it would be weird if decomposed jamo in separate inline
elements shaped into a syllable, but decomposed jamo in separate
<ruby>s didn't.  I think of <ruby> as just a magical inline that
happens to have text floating above/below it.