Re: [mediaqueries4]Differentiating touchscreen+mouse from touchscreen only scenarios

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Oren Freiberg
<oren.freiberg@microsoft.com>wrote:

> [...]
Yeah I like this better because it let's the site say what's important to
them rather than us assuming there's one answer for all scenarios.  In the
limit I could imagine some sites wanting to expose a choice to the user
(similar to how gmail provides different layout options in their UI and
defaults to 'touch optimized' when pointer:coarse is set).

>  The hybrid device experience is important to us so reporting just coarse
> on a hybrid device doesn’t sit well right now. The concern is those devices
> might get a mobile optimized experience.

Exactly, that's in part what lead to our bug.  In practice it's ONLY hybrid
devices that people use this for on Chrome today (AFAIK), they're already
in the habit of UA sniffing for mobile devices :-(.  We chose not to modify
our UA for touchscreen laptops (the way IE did) so felt we needed SOME
signal developers could use to tweak their UI for touch (that's better than
the broken behavior of looking to see if the browser supports touch events).