Re: [css3-images] Units for `image-resolution: from-image`

On 17/04/2014 19:09, fantasai wrote:

>> While that's reasonable, still, if you know the size of a "real inch",
>> then you know the ratio of a real inch to a CSS in.  This can be used
>> to interpret the format-specified ratio in a more accurate way than
>> just assuming that it's referring to a CSS in.
>>
>> What I'm saying is, I prefer to leave this underdefined.
>
> I disagree. I think the concept of "inch" should be consistent
> throughout all of CSS if possible. So <length>, media queries,
> and image-resolution.

Yes, the "in" and "dpi" units should be consistent within CSS. But
neither of them is related to the imperial inch unit.

> In other news, if the image says "I'm 72dpi" and I write
>     image-resolution: 72dpi
> these should both give the same result.

I disagree. I’m pretty sure that "inch" in EXIF refers to the imperial
unit rather than the CSS "in" unit that is worth 96 times 0.0213 degrees
of visual angle.

--
Simon Sapin