Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-334: 'letter-spacing' and Indic

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:10:01 +0000
To: Peter Moulder <pjrm@mail.internode.on.net>
On Jan 25, 2014, at 9:07, Peter Moulder <pjrm@mail.internode.on.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:30:00AM +1100, I wrote:
>
>> I would thus be careful about specifying that this bar should always have
>> visible gaps when letter-spacing is non-zero.
>
> More practically in terms of how to word the spec when addressing this issue
> (if indeed we don't wish to specify that this bar should always have visible
> gaps): the spec might merely say where letter-spacing is applied (namely at
> syllable boundaries), without necessarily even mentioning the bar.  If gaps in
> the bar are mentioned, then the requirement might be on where gaps should/must
> not appear.

Hm, I agree to leave things that we’re not certain undefined.

Is the “syllable boundaries” different from the current grapheme cluster definitions? If no, I suppose there’s no need to update the spec.

If different, is it possible to change Unicode grapheme cluster, or is it something that letter-spacing point needs to be different from grapheme cluster boundaries?

/koji