Re: [css-grid] Punt subgrids to level 2?

On Friday 2014-02-28 12:45 -0800, fantasai wrote:

> >I know it's currently at-risk, but I don't feel like that section of
> >the spec will be CR-ready before Chrome and IE are ready to ship
> >implementations of the rest of the spec publicly.  We should go ahead
> >and punt it now, rather than pretending that it'll stay through to CR
> >or delaying the CR of the spec due to this.
>
> That would be equivalent to shipping Regions with only element-based
> region containers. The reason many people in the WG are against that
> is because it encourages bad markup design. Shipping grid without
> subgrid also encourages bad markup design. Worse, in fact, because it
> requires *stripping* markup that otherwise would be there, not just
> adding in a few extraneous empty elements.

Does 'display-box: contents' [1] help at all to alleviate this
concern?  In other words, could authors use 'display-box: contents'
to avoid having to eliminate markup in the same way that subgrids
allow them to avoid eliminating markup?  (If so, how would using
display-box: contents compare to using subgrids?)

-David

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-display/#the-display-box

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,