Re: [css-background] Add the *-x/y longhands to appropriate properties?

> On Apr 21, 2014, at 6:45 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, it would just get mapped to "bg-pos-y: top;".  No need to map it
>>> into the other property, since they're aliases.
>>
>> Not sure if you are sitting hairs between "mapping" vs. "aliasing",
>
> Splitting hairs between computed values and aliasing.
>
>> but my point was that it is only an alias once you know the mode is horizontal-tb, no? Otherwise, if(!horizontal) y != block.
>
> "bg-pos-y: start" isn't a shorthand for anything else, but it does
> turn into "bg-pos-y: top" (or bottom) depending on w-m/direction.
>
> bg-pos-y is then also an alias for either bg-pos-inline or
> bg-pos-block, depending on w-m/direction.

I think I understand you correctly: an alias is like a shorthand that's no shorter, and happens in the cascaded value time (in a second cascade after the initial cascade to determine writing mode). But for "bg-pos-y: start" to get turned into "bg-pos-y: top", that's just a normalization of the value that happens at computed value time, and by then the wm is well known anyway.