Re: [css-backgrounds] background-position-x/-y, logical positions, and initial value failure

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote on 2014/04/18 10:17:27
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> > But with background-position, the initial values are
> >   background-position-x: left /* defined by CSS1 */;
> >   background-position-y: top /* defined by CSS1 */;
> > There is no way to express an equivalent in logical terms:
> >   background-position-inline: start;
> >   background-position-block:  start;
> > is only equivalent when writing-mode is LTR-TB. Initial values
> > don't have a cascading order, so when the writing mode is not
> > LTR-TB, what wins?
> >
> > I'd like to have background-position-x/y, but we're missing a
> > solution to make it actually work.
>
> I think we can resolve this by fiat.  When there's no cascade
> information dictating which property should win, we declare that the
> physical ones should win.  This only has an effect when there are no
> rules setting the property at all, in the author or UA sheets, and so
> it's purely a matter of maintaining web compat.

I agree with this. We have implemented 'background-position' with
the initial value 0% 0% (= left top, even in any writing mode).
This means, for example, the 'background-position-block: end' will be
the default in the vertical-rl writing mode.
In my opinion, logical directional default values are important
for text flow, but not so for graphics and decorative things.

Shinyu Murakami
Antenna House