Re: [css3-background] Border-image clarifications

> On Apr 16, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Matt Rakow <marakow@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We've been reviewing the border-image properties and would like to add a few minor clarifications to help disambiguate certain portions of the spec.  I think all of this is in line with the current intent of the spec, so this is intended just to eliminate possibilities for misinterpretation and shouldn't represent any functional changes.
>
> 6.1: "Specifies an image to use instead of the border styles" -- this sounds like it implies the border image overrides border styles, rather than simply changing the rendering.  "Specifies an image to render instead of the border style" clarifies, I think.

In what way is it not an override?

> 6.1: "as an additional background layer for the element" -- I think this is making reference to the "fill" behavior, but then I think this starts to imply interaction with background-related features that may not be intentional?  One simple example of many -- should background-blend-mode apply to the border image?  To just the "fill" portion?  Or not at all (I think this is the intention).  If this interpretation is correct, then I think this phrase should be removed such that the definition doesn't imply interaction with backgrounds.

As I recall, this is in reference to the layer sitting just above the background layers. I agree that it should not imply full status as a background layer for blend-mode, etc.  It could be worded better.

> 6.1 "the element's borders are invisible" -- invisible seems ambiguous (Can they still be hit-tested against?  Are they reflected in DOM APIs?) -- I think this should be phrased as "the element's borders are replaced by the border image"

Hmm. It's been a while, but I think the answer to both questions is yes, and there is no hit testing of the border image. So the regular border is still there, but invisible.

> 6.2 "Negative values are not allowed and values bigger than the size of the image are interpreted as '100%'." -- Is this stating that negative values are thrown out as invalid, and boundary-clamping is done only on the upper bound?

I believe so.

> Or that boundary-clamping occurs on both ends?  Also, I'm assuming that the computed value is the clamped value and not the specified value in this case.
>
> 6.2 "auto-sized background" -- This term isn't really defined, but I think this is referring to "a background whose background-size property is 'auto'" -- If so,

That's the intent, yes.

I don't have any strong opinions on your suggested remedies, below. They seem reasonable enough to me.