Re: CSS variable syntax

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not familiar with what @ is being used for.

 At rules.  (@media, @supports, @charset)

Why couldn't variables start with @?

Because then they would look like at-rules.

> Why would it be difficult to implement this so that --foo in a property
> value means get the value of the foo property, making var(--foo)
> unnecessary?

As I understand it, it's very complicated to change the core grammar of
CSS. This syntax works within the existing grammar and so it is viewed more
favorably by implementors. Also, I think this syntax stands out as a
runtime resolved value instead of as a simple substitution done once.