Re: [counter-styles] i18n-ISSUE-285: Hebrew number converter inadequate for numbers >= 1000

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> Perhaps it would also make sense to change the range from
>
> range: 1 infinite;
>
> to something more indicative of expectations for use.

Perhaps 1 to 2000?  That would be 5 tavs for the maximum value, and 7
characters at most to represent any value in the range (1999 is
תתתתשצט).  That's similar to the length of the largest values for
other limited-range systems, which are often defined out to 6 digits,
and handles both lists and page numbers out to reasonable values.  If
individual people are okay with longer displays and want to extend the
limits for themselves, that's easy to do with an override:

@counter-style longer-hebrew {
  system: override hebrew;
  range: 1 10000;
}

We could also add alternative hebrew numbering to the i18n doc, using
geresh or not.  The whole point of the i18n doc is to be a repository
of bunches of other styles that authors can use.  I'd be happy to add
a note after the 'hebrew' style specifically pointing out the
alternate forms in the i18n doc.

I'll go ahead and edit hebrew to stop at 2000. Let me know if I should
do anything else.