Re: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:23:39 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > I recommend reading the Extensible Web Manifesto
 > <http://extensiblewebmanifesto.org/>, which I and a lot of other spec
 > authors and major library developers signed.  It says precisely what I
 > just did - the correct way to design the web platform, established
 > through years of experience, is to figure out the low-level primitives
 > and expose those, then additionally offer high-level sugar that
 > composes those primitives automatically for you to solve common
 > problems.

On the ladder of abstraction for document design, regions and flows
are fairly abstract concepts that depend on lower-level stuff like
fitting content on a line. If you truly want the low-level stuff, a
better target is TeX's assembly-language-for-documents-like features.

I grew up with FrameMaker which basically was a software package for
Regions. I was always envious of the low-level stuff that the TeX guys
could do.

Cheers,

-h&kon