Re: [css-books] Re: [css3-gcpm] Complex Footnotes

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:02:30 +0100
To: liam@w3.org
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Cramer\, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com>, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>, "www-style\@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Liam wrote:

 > > >   make the element inline if it takes up less than a line, otherwise
 > > >   make it a a block
 >
 > Yes, that makes sense. Inline mathematical equations might be treated
 > similarly, and also chemical formulæ and molecular structure diagrams -
 > in general, equations and small figures.

Indeed. The ED of the CSS Box model allows consecutive run-ins:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-box/#run-in-boxes

So, one could do:

  .footnote { display: run-in }

And have the footnotes end up on the same line if they are short enough.

White space around the run-ins could still be an issue. E.g., in this:

   http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/images/PepysFootnotes.jpg

the inline-level footnotes have horizontal margins/padding. Setting
spacing on run-ins -- which could end up as inline or block -- can be
tricky. This code:

  .footnote { display: run-in; margin: 0 2em }

could work for inline footnotes, but perhaps the margins would be
different for block-level foonotes. Perhaps we need a pseudo-class on
the run-in to match its different states:

  .footnote:display(inline) { .. }
  .footnote:display(block) { .. }

Hmm.

-h&kon