Re: Displaying an ellipsis on the last visible line of a block that overflows vertically

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I've had two requests for this just in the last week.
>
> Seems to me it would be easy to add a 'text-overflow-last' property with the
> same values as text-overflow. When a block has text-overflow-last not
> 'clip', and its 'overflow' is not 'visible', and it has one or more lines
> overflowing vertically, the last line that fully fits in the block (or the
> first line, if there is no line that fully fits in the block) gets an
> overflow indicator according to the value of 'text-overflow-last' and the
> content of any later lines is hidden as if they're clipped out. If a line
> gets a text-overflow-last indicator, it cannot also get a text-overflow
> indicator.

This is closely related (nearly identical, actually) to the proposals
for block-overflow.  We should merge them.

Some value/keyword causes an inline ellipsis/string to be generated at
the end of the last line.  Another one causes the last line to be
replaced by the ellipsis/string.  Both (+ plain text-overflow) are
exposed via an ::overflow or ::ellipsis or whatever pseudo-element
which can be styled in a limited fashion.