Re: [css-books] Re: [css3-gcpm] Complex Footnotes

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> There are many interesteing cases in there. I've spent some time
> trying to style Fig 12 and Fig 13, available from here:
>
>   http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/images/hamlet.png
>   http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/images/PepysFootnotes.jpg
>
> The challenges, compared to simple footnotes, are:
>
>  a) two streams of footnotes, with separate formatting
>  b) footnote numbering based on line numbers
>  c) inline vs block-level footnotes

Are footnote separators also an issue?  For example, in the Pepys case,
there's a footnote separator (a centered horizontal rule) between the two
footnote areas, which occurs only if both footnote areas are non-empty;
however, one could also imagine a separator between the body and the
footnotes that occurs only if at least one of the footnote areas was
non-empty.

James