Re: [css-page-3] 'marks' and 'bleed'

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013, at 20:41, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
>  > At least in the U.S., the most common value for bleeds is 9pt; would that
>  > be a better initial value, or do other parts of the world use smaller
>  > values?
>
> I don't know. 9pt sounds like an excellent value :)

My company is currently using 4mm, which is a tad more than 9pt,
but considering switching to something smaller.

>  > Another issue for us is how far the page marks are from the page box.
>  > Commercial printers sometimes want this value to be larger than the bleed
>  > amount. Our major printer wants all marks to be at least 18pt from the
>  > page box, even though the bleed amount is 9pt. PrinceXML has a
>  > "prince-trim" property which used to affect this (its behavior has changed
>  > in current versions).
>
> In the interest of avoiding stacks of properties, could we find one
> descign that works for all/most printers?

I would ask that the crop marks and cross marks be entirely outside of
the bleed.

This is useful when in post processing you want to be able to detect and
isolate the crop marks, which is needed for some workflows where you
want to delete the crop marks but keep the bleed.

I would also prefer that we remove this requirement: "This property
(bleed) only has effect if crop marks are enabled.", and get a way of
showing the bleed without displaying the crop marks.

Both requirements stem from the fact that it is sometimes useful to have
bleed but not crop marks. When preparing print plates where multiple
documents are combined next to eachother to be printed on one sheet of
paper, and later cut, you want the bleed to avoid getting thin lines of
white when cutting, but you don't want the crop marks around each
document, as they'd take a lot of space, but instead regenerate them on
the side of the whole print plate.

Naturally, to generate these, you need to know where the page stops, but
visual crop marks are not necessary for that. Metadata (such as the
coordinates of the bleed box in pdf files) is sufficient.

Florian