Re: A dedicated property to clear descendant floats (was: Proposal for "overflow:clip" for stronger painting isolation)

On 10/18/13 7:13 PM, "Marat Tanalin" <mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:

>In practice, `min-height` has nothing to do (or at least has much more
>not to do than to do) with clearing floats (other than well-known
>hasLayout bug of the dead IE7 ;-).

We are talking about containing floats within a wrapping container that is
not itself floated.

#mycontainer { min-height: contain-floats; float:none; }

In this case, again you really do not need any other min-height. Or show a
valid use case.

Max-height perhaps, butunles I am mistaken the meaning of 'contain-floats'
is:
"I want my container to be as high as the cleared floating blocks within
it."

Any other min-height is irrelevant of that context.

Should the presence of floats within your container be conditional.

You can always use both:

min-height: 200px;

min-height: contain-floats;

The browser will surely have to adapt to either, based on the conditional
presence of floated children.