Re: line-height: normal and multiple descendant font sizes

Le 2013-10-18 13:28, Glenn Adams a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/10/13 10:34 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:

[snipped]

> My interpretation of "largest font size" is one of:
>
> #1 max(computedFontSize(B), computedFontSize(I1), ...,
> computedFontSize(I*n*
> ))
>
> or
>
> #2 max(computedFontSize(I1), ..., computedFontSize(I*n*))
>
> where B is the block element and I1...I*n* are its inline children
> elements.

When line-height is set onto a block element, it sets the minimum height
of each of its line boxes. When line-height is set onto an inline
element, it sets the height of the inline box:

"
On a block container element whose content is composed of inline-level
elements, 'line-height' specifies the *minimal* height of line boxes
within the element.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-line-height

"
The height of the inline box encloses all glyphs and their half-leading
on each side and is thus exactly 'line-height'.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#inline-box-height

We have tests (and I could create tests) to "exemplify" both sentences
which would highlight the differences of those 2 sentences.

In your test

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3LineBox/multiple-line-box-various-font-sizes.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3LineBox/multiple-line-box-various-font-sizes-AG.html (line box are painted with lime color)

each line boxes (containing respectively the X1 inline box, X2 inline
box, X3 inline box) should be using its distinct height (caused,
determined, conditioned by each Xn inline box's height).

The line box with X1 should be approx. (16px + 2 * 1.6px) 19.2px tall,
the line box with X2 should be approx. (48px + 2 * 4.8px) 57.6px tall
and the line box with X3 should be approx. (24px + 2 * 2.4px) 28.8px
tall... assuming that 'normal' computes to 1.2.

> And where computedFontSize(E) is the result of the normal CSS cascading
> and
> computed style resolution process.
>
> What I am observing, however, is that font size appears to be
> interpreted
> on a per-line basis in order to create a per-line value for line
> height.

Yes. That's how it should be too. In a multi-line block element, each
line box can have its own distinct height. In a multi-line block
element, each line box can have its own distinct height based,
determined by, conditioned by factors like vertical-align, font-size,
line-height applied onto its replaced and non-replaced inline elements.

> This appears to be counter to the language in [1] that says:
>
> "Still for each glyph, determine the leading L to add, where L =
> 'line-height'
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#propdef-line-height>
>  - AD. Half the leading is added above A and the other half below D,
> giving
> the glyph and its leading a total height above the baseline of A' = A +
> L/2
> and a total depth of D' = D + L/2."

That's for non-replaced inline box.

Sections 10.6.1, 9.4.2 and 10.8.1 are intricated and are difficult to
understand.

I hope I am not wrong with what I wrote you. In any case, I'd love to
read/see where I may have been wrong.

Gérard