Re: line-height: normal and multiple descendant font sizes

Le 2013-10-17 12:52, Glenn Adams a écrit :
> In CSS2.1, we have the following in Section 10.8.1:
>
> "When an element contains text that is rendered in more than one font,
> user
> agents may determine the 'normal'
> 'line-height'<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#propdef-line-height>
> value
> according to the largest font size."

I think the spec with regards to section 10.8.1 should have been
rather/instead saying something like:

"
When a single line box contains text that uses more than one font-size,
user agents may determine the 'normal'
'line-height'<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visudet.html#propdef-line-height> value according to the largest font size.
"

> I'm curious if any UA actually implements this. I have tested Chrome,
> Opera, and Safari UAs, and none of these UAs seems to use the largest
> font
> size (of descendant fonts).
>
> My test consisted of the following fragment:

[snipped]

Here's a slightly modified version of your code fragment:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3LineBox/multiple-line-box-various-font-sizes.html

The spans Z1, Z2, Z3 at the bottom is just to see what happens when
there is only 1 single line box.

I think your test (expected rendered layout) is determined by section
9.4.2 of CSS 2.1 and not by 10.8.1:

"
A line box is always tall enough for all of the boxes it contains.
However, it may be taller than the tallest box it contains (if, for
example, boxes are aligned so that baselines line up). When the height
of a box B is less than the height of the line box containing it, the
vertical alignment of B within the line box is determined by the
'vertical-align' property. When several inline-level boxes cannot fit
horizontally within a single line box, they are distributed among two or
more vertically-stacked line boxes. Thus, a paragraph is a vertical
stack of line boxes. Line boxes are stacked with no vertical separation
(except as specified elsewhere) and they never overlap.
"

9.4.2 Inline formatting contexts
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting