[css-writing-modes] feedback: bottom-to-top scripts?

From: Martin Holmes <mholmes@uvic.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:52:54 +0000
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Hi there,

The current draft of the CSS Writing Modes specification states:

"Inherently bottom-to-top scripts are not handled in this version. See
[UTN22] for an explanation of relevant issues."

However, I can't find in UTN 22 any justification for the omission of
bottom-to-top scripts; UTN 22 in fact includes:

ltr-btt
	Left to right directionality in horizontal text; Bottom to top
	directionality  in vertical text. (Bi-orientational script)
	Example: Ogham.

Other bottom-to-top scripts exist (such as Ancient Berber).

I'm therefore a little puzzled by the decision to exclude bottom-to-top
from CSS Writing Modes. Is it simply because the range of use-cases is
so narrow, so the implementation burden placed on user-agent developers
was not felt to be justifiable?

Cheers,
Martin
--