Re: [css3-gcpm] Complex Footnotes

On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 17:15 +0700, James Clark wrote:
> Attached is an example (from the Diary of Samuel Pepys) of mixing block and
> inline footnotes.  The footnotes in this book are quite interesting.  There
> are two series of footnotes.

Yes, this is common in critical editions / edited editions.

Thank you for a good example.

https://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/Group/2008/06/footnote-examples/pages/Thompson-SemiticMagic-200/976x768.html

is similar - I hope this week (today probably) to move those to a public
space, maybe a wiki somewhere so we can add analysis. When I do that
I'll add your example and notes, if it's OK.

[...]

> But if there's only
> a single note in this series on the page and it fits on a single line, then
> it is set centered in a single column.  (If you have a layout with a single
> column body and multi-column footnotes, but a page has only one footnote
> and that footnote fits on a single line, I suspect you are always going to
> want to set that footnote as a single column.)

In hand setting this was obviously common, and saves space because you
don't need the column gap. In the example whose URI I gave, small/short
footnotes are treated as inline to get several on a line and save paper,
but longer footnotes are set as block, or at least start on a new line.

[other useful comments skipped]

> - When footnotes are numbered by page, you still might want to refer to the
> footnote by number (e.g. you might have a footnote that just says "See note
> 3 on page 21.") .  If the footnotes are marked up out-of-line, then I guess
> target-counter() could handle this.

Yes (as in xsl-fo) as long as multiple streams of notes are supported.

The digital publishing interest group (Member-only) is producing a very
helpful document describing requirements for page layout from the
publishing industry, although I fear it could become rather large.

Liam