Re: [css-ui] text-overflow: fade ?

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:51:22 +0200
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Rik Cabanier" <cabanier@gmail.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

> >> It could be pseudo element representing the last visible em-length of
> >> the overflowing line. Just like 'first-letter' selects part of a line
> >> (well, not exactly the same, as ::overflow would not be based on
> >> glyph boundaries).
> >
> > This can't be a pseudo element.
>
> Sure it can. Open your mind.

What could certainly be a pseudo-element is ::nth-line. We could allow
non-layout-related properties for lines (aka like we do for :visited), which
would enable cool effects like one line in red then one line in blue. Then
we could have a ::nth-line:overflowing { ... apply some mask ... }.

This is possible but requires more work than "just" adding a property value
to text-overflow.