Re: [css3-gcpm] Running elements

On 9/26/13 12:09 PM, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>>

>>  title { position: running(header), normal }
>>  @page { @top-center {
>>    content: element(header) }
>>  }
>>
>> I'm happy to resurrect the feature, though -- it's very useful.
>> Changing 'position' to take a comma-separated list is a big deal and
>> there may be better ways to achieve the same.
>
>It feels kind of strange to me to be using the 'position' property to get
>running headers. I think it would be more natural to extend the
>properties used for regions, which already do a lot of similar things.
>So, for instance, if the element is to be moved, not copied, then
>something like this:
>
>title { flow-into: header running }
> @page { @top-center {
>   flow-from: header;
>   }
> }
>
>Thus the "running" keyword would mean that the flow repeats on each page
>(like a header or footer) instead of flowing from page to page (like
>footnotes might), and that anything else with 'flow-into: header' (with
>or without the "running" keyword) would replace the existing 'header'
>flow. You could also add your 'element()' second arguments to
>'flow-from', like this:
>
>   flow-from: header first-except;
>
>Those second arguments could be useful even if it wasn't a running flow.
>
>Then, for Dave's use case, where the element is to be copied, not moved,
>we'd use a 'running-copy' keyword, instead of just 'running':
>
>title { flow-into: header running-copy }
>
>This to me feels right. It leverages what people would already know about
>flow-into and flow-from, styling with @region or ::region(), etc.
>
>I'd like to use '::before' on the margin boxes, to pick up some of the
>string content ideas (note that the regions draft already allows the
>'content' keyword in the 'flow-into' value):
>
>title {
>  flow-into: HEADER content running;
>  counter-increment: header;
>}
> @page { @top-center {
>   flow-from: HEADER;
>   }
>@top-center::before {
>   content: "Chapter " counter(header) ": ";
>   }
> }
>
>This feels simpler and easier, and more consistent with region syntax,
>than the current or past gcpm equivalents.

That makes sense to me. And Prince is already using the idea of "flow" to
move content into margin boxes; I hope they'll update this to use the
regions syntax (plus the ability to copy a flow).

Dave

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.