Re: [css-gcpm][css-color] device-cmyk() interaction with RGB-space colors.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I've attached a screenshot of the color settings dialog for people that
> don't have access to InDesign:
>  cms.png<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26l3CHMT6bfVHVGUVFfdjUyOVE/edit?usp=drive_web>
> Note how CMYK is handled. Profiles are ignored and numbers preserved.
>
> Here's a quick google search on this feature: http://bit.ly/18qTiaM which
> digs up many articles and mail threads.
>
> One of the results is this article:
> http://indesignsecrets.com/my-cmyk-images-change-when-i-print-or-export-pdf.php which
> talks about the pitfalls of calibrated CMYK. Note this sentence from the
> article:
>
> Let’s say you are in a fully color-managed workflow, and you really like
> CMYK cross-rendering for some bizarre reason
>
> So, the author can not see a reason (hence 'bizarre') for a workflow
> cmyk->cmyk.
>
> Let's go over a couple of scenarios:
> 1. you place a CMYK image with an embedded profile.
> Should this profile be used (by default) at any time?
> During printing -> no, we went over this. People don't want us to touch
> their cmyk values
> During proofing -> no, proofing goes from the target profile to the
> proofer's profile (while doing matching) so use the original cmyk values
> but tag them with the target profile.
> During display -> this sounds tempting, until you think about it. You will
> get a nice color link from the embedded cmyk to srgb but it won't match
> what you get when printing...
> Another reason not to use it, is that it's very likely that the profile is
> wrong.
>
> 2. CMYK to RGB conversion for screen display.
> I admit that the simple formula from CMYK to RGB is suboptimal. Maybe we
> can somehow define a document profile to make this more sane. This
> basically would turn device-cmyk into calibrated CMYK during display.
> If there is no such profile defined, let's settle on the simple formula.
> Otherwise, pages will look different in different parts of the world since
> cmyk profiles across countries.
>
> 3. Export/printing to a format that supports multiple color space (ie PDF)
> Don't do any color conversion and just pass everything through as-is.
>
> 4. Exporting/printing to CMYK
> device-cmyk values are preserved. RGB is converted to CMYK using ICC.
> Maybe we can define that rgb where r=g=b is mapped directly to K? Maybe we
> can also define CMYK alternates for named colors?
> During export, there must be a profile which either comes from the
> document or the UA.
>
> 5. How to handle content that has an RGB only operation (such as a
> colormatrix filter) during export to CMYK
> That entire section should be treated as if it had a sRGB profile attached
> to it (aka as if it were displayed). At the end of the operation, all the
> RGB values are mapped to CMYK.
> This does mean that cmyk values in that section are destroyed.
>
> What do you think? Does this make my intent more clear and ease your

Hi Chris,

I never heard back from you.
What you do think of my points?

To be clear, I'm not arguing against color management. I just want to make
sure that we can define a model that doesn't disturb the current world,
that is easy to extend and that can be turned on piecewise.