Re: [mediaqueries] resolution and device-pixel-ratio

On 14 Nov 2013, at 12:05 pm, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
>> Related: the CSS WG resolved at its meeting two days ago that Apple will
>> make a proposal for something that covers the following issues:
>>
>> - a definition for all the types of zooms
>> - the fixed number of device pixels to a CSS px at 1:1 zoom
>> - the value of zoom that maps how large a CSS px is now relative to the
>> natural scale (the one browsers do without changing the width of the
>> viewport)
>> - the "user" zoom factor (sometimes called pinch zoom), where everything
>> including the width of the viewport is scaled.
>
> The zoom types (page and pinch) are already defined in CSSOM View.
>
> The definition of .devicePixelRatio and the 'resolution' media feature
> are both defined to be the screen's resolution * the page zoom.

The issue isn't where CSS (or whatever) defined them. It's that Safari doesn't follow that definition, and is unlikely to change. This is the reason for proposing a new name.

(Yes, it's Apple's fault that we implemented something and didn't bring it to the standards groups with a clear description that the value was supposed to be constant)

Dean