Re: [css3] box-shadow specification bug

From: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:02:35 +0800
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:58, Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> Chrome renders this against the spec but mathematically correct,
> distance there is distance - all points with similar color lie on the same
> distance from the border, no matter what radius is used
> and so this implementation is stable to rounding problems, floating
> point precision, etc.

Not sure what you mean that "Chrome renders this [] mathematically correct". Both browsers do what the spec says and have the same behavior, they just have different precision for border-radius. Gecko has a precision of 1/60th of a pixel, Chrome of 1px (values < 1px as treated as 0px). This would have been clearer if your testcase had a blur of 0.

I don't think this is a serious enough problem to warrant changes at this point. There are precision issues everywhere. Eventually WebKit/Blink will also render subpixel lengths, so it will be even less noticeable. I agree that none/0 would be a useful distinction if border-radius were specced now, but it's too late and not that serious of an issue to warrant a change that would cause compatibility issues, regardless of how few or minor they might be.

~Lea