Re: [selectors4] Proposal for extending Selectors Level 4 with possibility to select attributes

On 10.11.2013 14:02, Simon Sapin wrote:
> (CSS) Selectors are fundamentally about elements, not arbitrary DOM
> nodes. In http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#abstract :

Very first sentence of abstracts contains:

 "... that can be used to select *nodes* in an XML document."

hence why I think that selectors shouldn't cover just elements. If the
intent of selectors was always cover just elements and nothing else then
spec wording should be changed and all mentions of nodes should be
replaced by elements so there is no confusion about possible scope of
the spec.

>>> Today you can already use these API to select elements, then use
>>> .getAttribute()
>>
>> You are not getting my point. What is needed is a simple high level
>> declarative query language for selecting nodes from HTML document.
>> Calling additional DOM method doesn't bring here anything else.
>
> My point is that calling .getAttribute() can be an implementation detail
> of the in-browser ITS implementations that you were talking about,
> independently of what the ITS syntax looks like.

So if I understand you properly, you are proposing that ITS should
define its own extension syntax for accessing attributes and
implementations then should parse selector and if such syntax is used
additional operations are made except just calling qSA()?

     Jirka