Re: [selectors4] Proposal for extending Selectors Level 4 with possibility to select attributes

On 8.11.2013 21:49, Simon Pieters wrote:
> So the stated use case for selecting attributes with the Selectors API
> is an ITS implementation in JS that uses Selectors API, and you want to
> select alt/title/data-* etc attributes with Selectors instead of XPath.
> Is that correct?

Yes, exactly.

> Are there ITS implementations in JS intended to be used in a browser?

Yes, I have seen several of them. Some of them are already open-sourced.
For example there is Drupal module (https://drupal.org/project/its)
which uses custom jQuery plugin to easily access all ITS metadata
directly within browser (http://plugins.jquery.com/its-parser/). However
because Selectors are not yet capable of accessing attributes this
jQuery ITS plugin currently supports only ITS rules based on XPath via
document.evaluate().

>> I think it has been clearly demonstrated that there is a need and
>> use-cases for Selectors to support selection of attribute nodes in a
>> document. I'm happy to discuss about concrete syntax for this feature or
>> technical problems that implementation might cause. But simply stating
>> that you personally don't see problem when others have it is not a
>> productive way forward.
>
> I think it is useful to get a common understanding of the problems we're
> trying to solve.

Indeed, sorry if I was too terse. But from your previous emails I got
impression that you understand to ITS use-case but you don't consider it
strong enough to extend Selectors.

Have a nice day,

     Jirka