[css-regions] Floats and auto-sized regions

From: Mihai Balan <mibalan@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:06:03 +0000
To: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
Hello everybody,
I'd like to know your position on the following scenario: suppose we have some content that gets flowed in an auto-sized region, and said content also has a floated box in it, that's taller than the non-float content. Should the size of the region be the size of the non-float *and* float content (taller) or just the size of the non-float content (shorter)?

A corollary to this scenario is what should the size for an auto-size region when the only thing flowed in it would be a float?

My personal take is that the float itself should not contribute to the sizing of the regions other than through the eventual shortening of line boxes of the surrounding contents and/or clearing. (The answer to the corollary being that the region should have 0 height).

Either way, I think there should be some explicit wording in the spec.

Thoughts?
Mihai