Re: [mediaqueries] User-defined Media Queries?

On Fri, 31 May 2013 20:21:16 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about just:

>>>   <script>
>>>     if (window.outerWidth >= 600)
>>>       document.css.media.huge = true;
>>>     }
>>>   </script>
>>>     @media ("huge") {
>>
>>>       .facet_sidebar {
>>>         display: none;
>>>       }
>>>     }
>
> Hmm, using bare strings as the media query name is interesting.  It's
> definitely unambiguous and non-colliding, and means that authors can
> give whatever they want as the name without having to worry about
> escaping.  Plus, nice and short.  +1.

And as the syntax error recovery in media queries was well though out,
this works fine in old browsers.

@media (min-width:300px), ("huge") { ... }

The custom query never matches, but only the custom part is discarded,
not the whole @media rule. Most syntax extensions we could consider
for media queries have this property, so this isn't unique about
this specific proposal, but it is always a good thing to have.

I need to think about this some more, but this is certainly interesting.

  - Florian