Re: [css3-fonts] "font-feature-settings: none" shorthand?

On 5/31/13 4:17 PM, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

>I think the problem here is that you're equating an author's wish to
>disable typographic features as meaning literally "turn off the
>OpenType layout engine".  I don't think they are the same, hence I
>don't think a 'none' property value or wildcard notation serves a real
>use case.

I would prefer not to have a 'none' shorthand for font-feature-settings,
for the reasons above. You can already choose to turn off required
ligatures if you really want, which I don't think has a real use case
either. I don't want to make that any simpler to achieve. I've had
experience providing an API that allowed required ligatures to be turned
off, and nearly immediately getting bug reports from Arabic authors
running into problems using code provided by western authors who had
thought they were 'speeding things up' by turning everything off.

Thanks,

Alan