Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> The feature request (allow the engine to prepare “expensive to render”
> content in one RAF while servicing cheaply painted stuff in other RAFs seems
> contrary to the way that browsers layout and render. Speaking for WebKit at
> least, we can’t be working on one part of the render tree “in the
> background” while doing other layouts and renders.

It's entirely consistent with Blink's compositor architecture (given
that it was some Blink compositor people who asked me about it).

I'm not sure how different other browsers' compositor architectures
are, but I wouldn't think they'd be *that* different, such that doing
something like this is impossible.

Note that this doesnt' involve render-tree work - the render tree is
already constructed and done.  It's expensive *painting* that's the
issue.

~TJ