Re: [cssom-view] Add a "smooth" parameter to scrollTo and scrollBy functions

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 21:03:16 -0700
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: Nat Duca <nduca@google.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, James Simonsen <simonjam@chromium.org>, Tony Gentilcore <tonyg@google.com>, Tom Wiltzius <wiltzius@google.com>
On 5/15/13, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:17:49 +0200, Nat Duca <nduca@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon. Sorry for the delayed reply, and some responses inline.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apparently, there has been a significant rise in the number of sites
>>>>

>>> Do you have URLs to such sites I can look at?
>>

>> Pinterest has a scroll to top, in their main feed. I've seen similar
>> around
>> the web.
>
> If one wants smooth scrolling for all navigations, then a CSS property
> seems better. If one wants instant scrolling in general and just smooth
> scrolling for the "scroll to top", an API seems better.

You see "CSS vs an API" but I see it as CSS vs Parameter. This is
because the CSS style.transition is accessible through a scriptable
API, and so it is an API.

I'm wondering about feature testing. It is generally desirable to know
what sort of values are acceptable. How would either approach provide
for that?
--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit