[css3-box] area property for replaced elements with an intrinsic aspect ratio

From: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 00:53:48 +0300
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
I, and I presume other authors as well, have frequently run into this issue:

There is a list of images with varying dimensions and aspect ratios (e.g. logos) and we want all of them to have the same visual impact. We can set max-width or max-height, but in that case, square logos will still have a higher visual impact than long or tall ones. What we basically want is the ability to set the area of the element, and have the dimensions automatically adjust. I guess this could be useful in other cases of replaced elements with intrinsic dimensions or aspect ratios as well. What do you think?

Lea Verou
W3C developer relations
http://w3.org/people/all#leahttp://lea.verou.me ✿ @leaverou