Re: calc() in Media Queries (Was: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-05-15)

On Fri, 17 May 2013 21:40:08 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
> wrote:
> Since V&U introduces calc by saying:

>>   <number>, or <integer> values are allowed."
>>
>> I suppose it just needs a clarification there, and no change is needed
>> in the MQ spec. Do we agree on that?
>
> Nothing needs to be changed anywhere - this resolution is just in line
> with what the specs already say.  MQ's token-based syntax just defers
> to "expr", which covers calc(), and the individual MQs use property
> grammar productions like <length>, which include the appropriate
> calc()s.

Right, this resolution is compatible with the specs as they are. At the
same time, while nothing is necessary strictly speaking, I do think a
note would be welcome. The fact that the WG had to debate it shows that
it is not entirely obvious, and both authors and implementors might
miss the implication. V&U seems the best host for this note.

    - Florian