Re: [css3-text] Korean should be added to enable additional line breaking rule sets

On 05/13/2013 03:14 PM, Jungshik SHIN (신정식) wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:
>>
>> While I think it's true that Korean should be treated more or less the same
>> way as Chinese and Japanese wrt line-breaking *in general*, it seems to me
>> from reading the KLREQ draft
>>    http://www.w3.org/International/docs/korean-layout/#line-head-rest
>> that Korean should *not* be listed alongside Chinese and Japanese in these
>> particular rules:
>>    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#line-break
>

> Sorry I'm slow here. It's not clear to me what made you reach that
> conclusion from reading:
>
> Lines cannot start with closing parenthesis (cl2), hyphen (cl5), dividing
> punctuation marks (cl6), middle dots (cl7), periods and commas (cl8~9),
> iteration marks (cl11), or prolonged sound marks (cl12).
>
> Could you elaborate?

It says you cannot break before those characters. It doesn't
say, in some styles you don't allow breaks there, but in some
other styles you do (which is the case for Japanese).

> I'm not sure why 'normal' or 'loose' cannot be used with what the KLREQ
> document calls 'word basis' line breaking. I don't think they mean
> 'line-break: strict'.

It is of course quite simple to define 'normal' or 'loose'
to behave as in Japanese in the case of 'word basis' line
breaking. The question is, is that actually used or would
it be weird? If it's weird, then we shouldn't define it to
work that way. (Line breaking is supposed to follow language
conventions, whatever they are, not copy some other language's
convention just because that's the technical fallout from
trying to implement that other language's conventions.)

~fantasai