Re: [css-fonts] definition of synthetic oblique within the 'font-style' property definition

fantasai wrote:

> As for how the synthesis for font-style should work, here is my
> proposal:
>
>  a. For characters that are missing a vertical alternate glyph,
>     one is assumed to exist with the same shape as the regular one.
>  b. Italic/oblique regular glyphs (non-vertical alternates) are
>     synthesized with a clockwise skew in the horizontal dimension.
>  c. Italic/oblique vertical alternates (both real and assumed) are
>     synthesized with a clockwise skew in the vertical dimension.
>
> There are no codepoint-specific rules, nor are any needed. We are,
> exactly as you require, synthesizing a font face without regard to
> how the individual glyphs will be typeset, and this synthesized font
> face is then used as input into the font selection algorithm exactly
> as if it were a real font.

So just to confirm, the display of glyphs from actual faces labeled
italic or oblique is not affected by this proposal, the glyphs are
used "as is" without any additional shear operation?

How do different values of the text-orientation property affect the
obliquing?  e.g. text-orientation: upright

What you're proposing sounds very close to what Microsoft Word /
Internet Explorer implement currently.  Is what you're proposing
different in some way?

Cheers,

John Daggett