Re: [css-color] Have you considered standardizing a rgba(#RRGGBB, <alpha-value>) notation?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:11:04 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, "Sam L'ecuyer" <sam@cateches.is>, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>, Šime Vidas <sime.vidas@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 9, 2013, at 3:05 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Instead of having different functions for color effects like changing the
>>> brightness like Lea said earlier, the color() function could also do this:
>>>
>>> color(#ff4500, saturation - 20%);
>>> color(orangered, luminance 50%);
>>>
>>> Not sure if this approach is better than having different functions, though.
>>
>> Yes, this is my preferred solution now.
>
> I don't get it. If you have to include the color inside the that you are going to modify, that is a considerable shortcoming.

The big win for the syntax I'm running with is that it lets you
manipulate colors stored in variables, generating a bunch more colors
off of it.

> I'd much rather have it as this:
>
> color: #ff4500; color-adjust(saturation - 20%);
> background-color: orangered; color-adjust(luminance 50%, background-color, box-shadow, border-color);
>
> This way, I don't have to know the base color(s) in order to adjust a whole bunch of them. I could lighten all the elements of a certain class, make a whole bunch of things have translucent backgrounds, etc. without picking each color separately.

I don't understand what syntax you're suggesting.  You're putting a
function after the semicolon - is that supposed to be a property?
Something else?

I can see the potential for a property that adjusts the computed-value
of other color properties in this way.  Call it 'color-adjust', have
its value be a number of property names and color-adjusters like what
color() has, in a comma-separated list.

~TJ