Re: margin-inline-start and friends

On Thursday 2013-05-09 15:10 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> >> That's not necessary, under David's proposal.  You can cascade them
> >> together and then determine at computed-value time what property
> >> affect which sides.
> >
> > No, it does require doing the cascade separately.  But Gecko already
> > does cascading separately for groups of properties, so it's fine for
> > us.
>
> Hm, can you explain why?  As far as I can tell, it should work fine to
> cascade them together, so long as you're okay with the "real" values
> only showing up at computed-value time.

I should probably say this more clearly:

 * for LTR, margin-start and margin-left must be cascaded together

 * this requires that the direction be known before cascading margin
   properties

 * this means the cascade has two passes (which is what Simon was
   asking about), with direction being done in the first pass and
   margins (cascaded together) in the second pass

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                           http://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂