Re: [css-color] Have you considered standardizing a rgba(#RRGGBB, <alpha-value>) notation?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:33:42 -0700
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>, Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>, Šime Vidas <sime.vidas@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> ± On the other hand, we could go the calc route and require a space, so that
> ± "adjust-alpha(red, 50%)" would set the alpha to 50%, but "adjust-alpha(red,
> ± + 50%)" would make the alpha 50% larger.  Seems kinda clumsy, though.
>
> Argh, sent that mail too fast. Another option is to use multiplications.
>
> color(red, alpha * 75%) vs color(red, alpha 50%)

That one's intriguing, and pretty readable I think.  Combine keywords
and reasonable notation, and allow a comma-separated list of
transformations.  Very calc-like, which is a bonus.

I'd allow both multiplication and addition/subtraction, plus bare
numbers for setting to a specific value.

~TJ