Re: [css-text-decor-3] determining position and thickness of line decorations

On Monday 2013-05-06 23:15 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> I don't think it's that significant.  It's essentially the same "may
> consider" in 2.1, and I think it's a bad idea there too.  There are
> plenty of things that are permitted in 2.1 that we're defining more
> precisely (and thus disallowing) in newer modules.

I'm also concerned about performance here; I worry that any browser
implementing the rules in
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text-decor-3/#line-position that turn
this "may consider" into a "must consider" will end up becoming too
slow on pages that use text decorations on large spans of text
(e.g., a long page that underlines the whole body); I think it's
entirely possible that the performance regression will be severe
enough that the whole thing will end up unimplemented.  (I certainly
wouldn't encourage a developer to spend time trying to implement it,
because I don't see it ending well, and I think we have bigger
problems to solve.)

-David