Re: [css3-multicol] Re: [CSSWG] Minutes Telecon 2013-05-01

Le 04/05/2013 20:20, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
> Also sprach Simon Sapin:
>
>   > > I support this resolution; we shouldn't try to solve this in the
>   > > multicol spec.
>   >
>   > I agree (fragmentation details go in the Fragmentation spec), but this
>   > only one half of issue originally reported by François. The other half
>   > is overflow in the inline dimension of out-of-flow elements, and I think
>   > the spec should add something there:
>   >
>   > >    - Discussed issues with overflowing floats in multicol
>   > >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0639.html
>
> And, in another message:
>
>   > "In-flow" is defined in CSS 2.1 and clearly does not apply to floated
>   > elements. But we could could change the spec to say "Floated or in-flow
>   > content that extends …"
>   >
>   >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#x24
>
> The proposal is then to change this sentence:
>
>    Content in the normal flow that extends into column gaps (e.g., long
>    words or images) is clipped in the middle of the column gap.
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#overflow

>    Floated or in-flow content that extends into column gaps (e.g., long
>    words or images) is clipped in the middle of the column gap.
>
> This makes sense to me; I kinda think of floats as being in the flow
> (although pushed to the side of the river, it's not airlifted away
> like abspos) and it makes sense to treat them like in-flow content.

That’s one way to resolve it, but I’d also add:

     Absolutely positioned content is not clipped at column boundaries.

("Absolutely positioned" also includes `position: fixed`, right?)
Perhaps this sentence not necessary (not clipping is the default) but I
like having things written explicit in specs.

I think the union of in-flow, floating and absolutely positioned content
covers everything. (Except the root element, but by definition it can
not be *inside* a multicol ancestor.)

--
Simon Sapin