Re: [css3-syntax] Normalize some tokens to lower-case

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> > Apparently at-keywords, function names and dimension units are
> normalized to
> > lower-case in CSSOM serialization. Should that normalization happen as
> early
> > as in the tokenizer?
> >
> > Until tokens or "primitives" are exposed in some API this might only be
> an
> > implementation concern and irrelevant to the spec. I’m not sure.
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure either.  I've added an issue to the spec to keep it
> in mind, though.

I notice that in the case of Opera, the original un-normalized form 'DiSc'
is stored and returned when reading CSSStyleDeclaration.cssText for the
inline style. However, for IE, FF, and Safari, its normalized form is
returned. In all four UAs, the normalized form is returned for computed
style.

So the answer about where normalization occurs, at least at present, is it
depends on the UA, with Opera clearly not normalizing at parse time.