Re: [css3-ui] Moving pseudo-classes and pseudo-elements to the Selectors spec

On 22 January 2013 14:40, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Section 4 of css3-ui defines a few selector pseudo-classes and
> pseudo-elements.
>
> The pseudo-classes’ definitions (but at this point not the
> pseudo-elements’) are now also in Selectors 4:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/**selectors4/#ui-states-pseudos<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#ui-states-pseudos>
>
> To avoid divergence in the future, only one definition of everything
> should be kept. I’d rather have all selectors defined in the Selectors
> spec, but this is not a strong opinion.

Wouldn't that create a dependency of css3-ui functionality on
css4-selectors? That is, you would not be able to implement all css3-ui
functionality unless css4-selectors is published and (at least partially)
implemented as well.

Also, does this then also apply to the css3-values spec that references
(but does not define) types listed in other specs (section 7 listing the
color, image and position types). Does this mean that css3-values should
define those types properly from the other specs as well (to be consistent
with your proposal)?

This ends up fragmenting the specs. That is, you would need to reference
multiple specs to implement a single feature (e.g. the css3-color spec).

It also makes it harder to introduce new types, pseudo-elements and
pseudo-classes in other specs. NOTE: I could see a similar issue for values
for the display property (e.g. ruby or math) in the box model.

Therefore, I am in favour of only defining those css3-ui selectors in that
spec, not css4-selectors. The css4-selectors spec may have a note
referencing the css3-ui selectors, with behaviour appropriate for the
selectors spec, in the same way the css3-values spec references external
types.

If the pseudo-classes are removed from css3-ui (since they are in
> Selectors), the pseudo-elements should move too. (But see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0286.html )

It would be better for css4-selectors to mention something like "Specific
pseudo-elements and pseudo-classes are defined in their respective
specifications.".

Thanks,
- Reece