Re: Case Sensitivity in CSS [I18N-ACTION-171]

On 17/01/2013 17:08, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
>  > the spec should require that *the user* should henceforth work with
> CSS as if it were case-sensitive throughout.
>
> That is problematic, if there are no clear requirements on implementers
> of CSS.

I wasn't suggesting that there are no clear requirements on
implementers, or that different browsers should do different things.

> People easily overlook casing differences, and so they end up producing
> pages that will work on some browsers but not on others. This happens
> all the time. Just having the spec say they ought to will have little or
> no effect. Given that it is already ASCII-case-insensitive:
>
>   * It would be best if CSS were required to be consistently
>     case-insensitive, ASCII or not. (That is *not* rocket science.)
>   * Second best (because of backwards compatibility) would be a
>     requirement for ASCII-case-insensitivity, but case-sensitivity for
>     all other characters.
>
> Leaving it open for different browsers to have different sensitivities
> would be terrible. Saying that while the browsers are required to do
> exactly X, but users should do Y is pointless.

I disagree. We do that all the time when we deprecate things in specs.
What I'm saying is that CSS should recommend that authors used CSS
case-sensitively from now on, and reinforce that by going for
case-sensitivity where possible in future developments, but that
implementations will still need to support ACI for legacy content.

RI

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead