Re: A proposed standard for CSS-controlled sentence spacing

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 13.01.2013 08:54 schrieb Thomas A. Fine:
>> 1. A generic spacing parameter to apply to inline elements.  NOT the box
>> model, as I don't think it's appropriate to extend that.  But rather
>> something that describes how inline elements relate to each other.  I've
>> thought of some schemes but they're complicated, because what if two
>> adjacent elements don't agree on how they should be spaced with each
>> other.
>
> This is why I advocate some variant of the margin property, which already
> handles different margins of adjacent elements well.

I agree.  If this issue is addressed in CSS at all, some
margin-equivalent that acts like an inline space of a specified width
is my preferred solution too.  (I wouldn't want to build it on margin
directly, because margins are stuck with physical directions, plus you
actually want it inside the content box.  But something like
"inline-space-start/end: <length>" makes some amount of sense, I
think.