Re: [css3-flexbox] Should ::first-line/letter apply to a flex container?

On 12/18/2012 02:09 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> CSS 2.1 defines that ::first-line/letter only apply to "block
> container elements".  That term isn't defined, but "block container
> box" is, and it explicitly excludes table boxes due to their alternate
> layout method.
>
> Should we exclude flex containers for the same reason?  It appears
> that IE, Opera, and FF all prevent ::first-line/letter from working on
> a flex container, but WebKit allows it.  I have no particular opinion
> on the matter.
>
> If we allowed it, I assume it would percolate down to the first flex
> item, after reordering.

I think it makes sense to either
   a) allow it on flex containers, grid elements, and various table display types
or
   b) only allow it for block containers

For simplicitly, I lean towards the latter unless people really think
it's a problem that it doesn't apply.

~fantasai