Re: [css3-text] A proposal to replace 'tab-size' with 'tabstop-widths'

Le 03/01/2013 14:19, Nick Gravgaard a écrit :
> But space characters (like all characters) still differ in width from
> one non-monospaced font to another. Assuming all characters are the same
> width and thus asking us to specify widths in multiples of the space
> character's width is a bit silly IMO. This sort of thing only ever made
> any sense in the days of old character mapped displays and that was many
> decades ago.
>
>> In any case, your tabstop-widths proposed property could also accept
>> integer values. No need for a new unit.
> Isn't an integer without a specified unit unusual in CSS? Anyway, my
> main concern is that it should take a list of widths (instead of just
> one), and that those widths can optionally be specified as px values.

Integer values are not as common as length, but they are used in CSS
counters, orhpans/widows, z-index, etc.

Integer tab stops make sense with monospace fonts (although the ch unit
now covers that use case.) But more importantly this is about
compatibility with existing content. If your proposal is accepted, I
think that tab-size should become a shorthand property for
tabstop-widths. So the latter must have equivalents for all of the
former’s valid values.

--
Simon Sapin