Re: [css-variables] typed variables, was: shortcut properties, fundamental limitation

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> Just an idea how to solve problem with shortcut properties and
> variables in them.
>
> If we will define that
> a) var() function *shall always* accept fallback value and
> b) that fallback value shall always static (known at parse time)

Both of these seem like unacceptable burdens on authors, for the minor
benefit of making shorthand properties possibly slightly easier to
implement and guaranteeing fallback.

We already have an implementation strategy for handling shorthands.
Fallback works just fine *if you choose to provide it*.  Of the
remaining functionality holes, I have a plan to let authors
*optionally* plug them, and gain extra benefits from doing so (when we
finally spec out a non-string-based OM, a typed variable can expose
the proper API - without the type, you can only manipulate it as a
string).